alpaca princess (renniekins) wrote,
alpaca princess

6.25 Miles

I meant to go to the picnic today, really I did! But first of course I had to sleep in. Then when I woke up, I remembered that I had not quite finished one of my now-overdue library books. So I set up the following schedule for my morning/afternoon: finish book, get bike, ride bike to library, return books, ride bike home, go to Stilyagi picnic.

It seemed like a good schedule. And hey, did you see item #2? See how casually I slid that into the list.... but it's true: my bike is here! It actually arrived early this past week, but I was never able to get out of work in time to retrieve it. So, Saturday was the day to pick up my new bike! With much rejoicing and merriment.

The only problem was, it turns out I was less far along in that book than I'd thought (Nimisha's Ship , my Anne McCaffrey (okay, but not captivating)). In fact, it took me to almost 3pm before the darn thing was finished!

Then I changed out of my jammies, dragged my cobweb-covered bike carrier out of my garage, strapped it to my car, and drove to the bike shop -- since I didn't want to try to find somebody who was available to give me a ride there. At the shop, the nice bike guy who had helped me last time pulled out my shiny new bike. A chorus of angels began singing, as it rolled toward me. (I don't know how he managed to arrange all those angels, nor how he convinced them to ride bicycles, but it was awfully thoughtful of him.)

So I test-rode my bike. He adjusted it so it was sized perfectly for me. He taught me how to take off the front wheel, and stuff like that. Then I drove it home, hanging from the back of my car.

When I got home, I grabbed my overdue library books and my new purple bike helmet, and I hopped on my brand-new bike. The angels were nowhere to be seen, but that was okay. I rode into town, dropped off the books, rode around for a bit, then rode home.

6.25 miles, I rode today! It was fun. I still feel distinct pain just above my knee whenever I push down, but as long as I keep the gears low it doesn't really bother me. I averaged only 10 mph this first trip -- but that's okay. I'll get stronger and faster if I just keep on riding it. The important thing for now is that I did it!

So anyway, by the time I got home it was almost 5:30 and I had clearly missed the picnic. Alas, I had been kinda looking forward to it. If anyone was looking for me, it wasn't that I was invisible (this time), it's just that I was busy with bikes and books.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded