Log in

No account? Create an account
current entries friends' entries archives about me Previous Previous Next Next
Mysterious Mouth Monsters with Malaria - cellophane — LiveJournal
the story of an invisible girl
Mysterious Mouth Monsters with Malaria
I have something wrong with me, but I don't know what. I am at the point, health-wise, where I would definitely be making an appointment with somebody if I weren't so darn busy (not to mention out of state). I hurt, quite a lot, and I don't like it.

I won't be back in town until friday, and it's not quite severe enough for me to try to hunt down an urgent care place here. So I'll try to see somebody friday, assuming I don't magically get better before then.

The weirdest thing about this situation is: I don't know whether I should beg a dentist to let me in on friday, or a doctor! So I know I'd like a professional with cool hands to diagnose my problem and make it better, but I'm not sure if she should have gone to dental school or medical school....

Here are my issues. I started noticing the first on sunday morning when I woke up. I had a strange discomfort on the bottom right of my mouth. The gums in the area right behind my last molar were swollen and tender. When I closed my teeth (which incidentally felt fine), I could feel the upper gum pressing down into the lower gum; it was that swelled up out of place.

Honestly I would have strongly suspected that this was some wisdom tooth problem, had I not had all of mine extracted as a teenager. Even the internet proposes wisdom teeth extraction.

Since then, I have been gradually feeling a bit worse. Waking yesterday (monday), I found that more of my gums are slightly swollen, down the right-bottom part of my jaw into the front. I feel pain in my neck just the other side of the swollen gums. It feels like there is a thick lump in there, that isn't on the other side. But it also seems to produce a pulse, so maybe it's just the artery I'm feeling/feeling?

Also, my ear hurts sometimes. When my ear desides to play, it usually involves sharp pains that start near the top and slide down to that same aggrevated mouth/neck area. Basically it's that whole side of my face, the ear/neck/tooth/jaw area, it just feels tender and a little swollen, at least not quite right..

All of it hurts. Sometimes it's sharp pain, like when I'm eating, or my ear gets into the game. The rest of the time it's just a painful throbbing or a dull ache.

It's definitely manageable, not severe -- it hasn't been waking me up at night for example. I can do everything I need to do, I just feel in pain and disgruntled all of the time.

So, yeah. When I talked to F on tuesday and told him about my woes I said, "I'm seriously at the point where I would really want to see a doctor, if I weren't so darn busy. But I won't have time until friday. I'm off to Sandusky, to sit in meetings all day.

"If it gets worse, I guess I'll have to find an Urgent Care type of place near Sandusky. If it magically better, well hallelujah! But if it remains this bad, I'm going to get an appointment for friday. But who -- a dentist? Doctor?"

Fortunately taking advil very regularly keeps it manageable, and I have also found that judicious use of alcohol (after work of course) makes my mouth feel quite a lot better! (Sometimes it's good for your mouth to get a little numb.)

I woke up this morning and my ear hurt a lot. "Hmm, perhaps this means I should see a doctor!", I thought. But then I tried to eat breakfast, and that was quite painful, making it seem more like a dental thing. I think I'll call my dentist tomorrow, and ask if I can describe my symptoms to her overthe phone. Then maybe she can identify if I need to see her, or a regular doc.

If glands could burst like appendixes do, I'd almost suspect that's what's happened. This gland has given me all kinds of trouble for years. Whenever I catch a cold it grows big and annoying, leaving my neck tender and difficult to move. Clearly it's been through several crisis points, perhaps this was the breaking straw, and it went berserker? Spewing its evil poisons into my ear, gums, jaw, and neck.

Or maybe it's a Secret Wisdom Tooth, so smart that it's managed to stay hidden all these years. But now it's back for revenge!

Or something like that. Tomorrow I'll make the phone call and try to get it figured out .... if I can just steal a few minutes away from tomorrow's meetings, that is!

Today was a very long day. Made longer by Mysterious Mouth Monsters with Malaria.

Tags: , , ,

read 13 comments | talk to me!
From: tlatoani Date: March 9th, 2006 12:27 pm (UTC) (Link)
One thing that can happen with dental pain is that you can get "referred" pain to other nearby parts of the face -- when I had problems with a previous wisdom tooth, I actually felt tooth pain on the opposite side of the jaw too. I think I'd go with a dentist on this one.

(BTW, it's apparently also possible -- though thankfully rare -- for removed wisdom teeth to grow back. I didn't know that until this response to my wisdom teeth post, but it happened to a friend of mine.)
renniekins From: renniekins Date: March 11th, 2006 05:39 pm (UTC) (Link)
wisdom teeth growing back?? Oh my GOD! That would majorly suck... I ended up seeing my doc yesterday, but intend to visit the dentist monday if I still have any symptoms. My dentist was closed yesterday.

(Incidentally I hope yours are feeling much better, and you heal quickly and easily.)

the_leewit From: the_leewit Date: March 9th, 2006 12:38 pm (UTC) (Link)
I would get to someone who has antibiotics without passing go or collecting $200. Infections that close to the brain make me really nervous.

I don't remember--- do you have a regular dentist? That is who I'd call first. If not, maybe your insurance company has a nurse you can call and consult with? And whether or not glands can burst like appendices, they can definitely get blocked and infected and then pop like zits something poppish.

I'm sure you've thought of all this, but really, really get that time. You dentist's answering service is trained to call him or her after hours in situations like this.0
From: tlatoani Date: March 9th, 2006 03:05 pm (UTC) (Link)
I second that antibiotics thing. Good point, because it sounds like you might have an infection.
jeffreyab From: jeffreyab Date: March 9th, 2006 03:25 pm (UTC) (Link)
Call the Dentist and describe the symptoms over the phone.

It sounds like an infection to me, reminds me of my own and at this phase you should get it treated ASAP.

Do not leave it, a guy I know lost a chunk of jaw to dental infection.
From: jer_ Date: March 9th, 2006 03:41 pm (UTC) (Link)
I would suggest dentist. I had a similar issue (from the sounds of it) about five years ago, in a place where I had already had a wisom tooth removed some time before. As it turned out, a tiny piece of food had worked it's way down beside my last molar, kinda under the gum, and started an infection. All I knew is that the entire right side of my head KILLED and was majorly swollen. I went to my doctor, who referred me to a dentist, who extracted the food particle and gave me groovy antibiotics, and indicated that facial infections are very, very dangerous and not something to play with.

I don't mean to scare ya, just passing on the info.
marsgov From: marsgov Date: March 9th, 2006 04:29 pm (UTC) (Link)

But that's only because I'm fond of you.

In all seriousness, you're describing what can be any number of serious infections, and a good dentist should be able to help you. Call your dentist and tell her your problems. Do it now, not tommorow — your work will survive without you for a half-hour.

You're even excused from an HNT post this week!
From: nicegeek Date: March 9th, 2006 04:40 pm (UTC) (Link)
It definitely sounds worth at least talking to a dentist about; if there's an infection under the gums, the longer it waits, the more damage it does. I've also occasionally had gum tenderness caused by a bit food that got trapped somewhere; I'd also try flossing the affected areas thoroughly but carefully, and rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash. The flossing may hurt a bit, but if it gets the trapped particles free, it's worth it.
hannunvaakuna From: hannunvaakuna Date: March 9th, 2006 04:57 pm (UTC) (Link)
i agree with the above. call your dentist. NOW. explain that you're out of town, and your symptoms. they may know someone in the area, or can help you find a local dentist or oral surgeon with evening hours - i know my dentist has seen patients on an emergency basis, too. if they won't or can't help, take yourself to an after hours urgent care or an ER. you don't want to mess with an infection that's so close to so many important things, and you don't want to wait for it to "go away" and not show it to a professional while it's happening.

work will understand. the client will understand. i'm sure they'd rather lose you for an hour or two while you take care of yourself than potentially lose you for... ever. take care of you lady. please!
From: (Anonymous) Date: March 9th, 2006 06:40 pm (UTC) (Link)
Sorry that you're not feeling well, Ren!

Your dentist might be willing to call in a perscription to a pharmacy for some broad spectrum antibiotics for you...without you needing to make an appointment away from home.

I had a doctor do that for me once, when I was on vacation.

Take care, and see you soon! -SG
lahabiel From: lahabiel Date: March 9th, 2006 09:51 pm (UTC) (Link)
If it extends into your ear, it could be a form of sinusitis which descended into your eustachian tubes. If you can't make an appointment with a dentist, an otolaryngologist might be sufficient.
rmeidaking From: rmeidaking Date: March 10th, 2006 01:26 am (UTC) (Link)
Hopefully this is too late, and you've already gone to see an emergency dentist. You may very well have an oral abcess. Sometimes these are not a big deal, but sometimes they can be a very big deal indeed, eventually involving oral surgery to remove the affected area (including gum tissue or nearby teeth) and/or a root canal procedure. You want to find this out sooner, not later. Really.

I would go tonight, actually, if at all possible. If necessary, go to a 24-hour care place, and find out the scope of the problem, and have them contact the dentist. Be glad you have a good health insurance plan.
nishar From: nishar Date: March 10th, 2006 04:51 am (UTC) (Link)
Please see a doctor when you can Rennie.
read 13 comments | talk to me!